Qualifying for a military veteran $3000 income tax exemption

If you are a military veteran who was honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States on, or any time before, the last day of the tax year, you are eligible for a $3,000 exemption on your income tax return.  If you file a joint return and your spouse or civilian union partner is also a veteran honorably discharged, he/she is eligible for the exemption.

Claiming the exemption

Fill in the oval on the resident return or check the box on the nonresident return to indicate that you are claiming the exemption.

Providing documentation

You will be asked for official documentation showing that you were honorably discharged or released under honorable circumstances from active duty only for the first time you claim the exemption. Your Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (Form DD-214) is most often submitted. You can get assistance in obtaining this document from the United States National Archives and Records Administration.

Certifying the exemption

  • You can upload your documentation and your completed Veteran Income Tax Exemption Submission Form 183kb to the NJ Division of Taxation
    • Use the notice code VET and select P O Box 440.
  • If you prefer to mail the forms, send them to:

The NJ Division of Taxation
Veteran Exemption
P O Box 440
Trenton, NJ 08646-0440

  • You can fax to 609-633-8427

Here is a link to the form as a PDF:


About the Author

Scott Cost is a Manager in the Tax Department at SobleCo. Scott has worked closely with mid-sized, privately held family-owned businesses throughout his career. He brings a depth of knowledge and experience to the firm, providing tax planning and developing tax minimization strategies for clients. Over the years, he has developed strong competencies in handling tax compliance for corporations and partnerships in the Food + Beverage industry. In addition, Scott is known for sharing his in-depth knowledge of tax laws and regulations, particularly in research and development (R&D) tax credits.

For more information contact Scott Cost at scott.cost@sobelcollc.com.